Sunday, July 31, 2011

Stitch Ears and Cosplay

So, as some of you know, I am a cosplayer. For those who don't know, cosplay "short for 'costume-play', is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea." Basically, people dress up to look like and act like characters they like or feel a connection with. I have been a cosplayer since 2010. I first got the idea when looking around online in February 2009. I was on vacation and was reading about conventions, cosplay, etc. Before I knew it, I was hooked; I wanted to do this. Well, one thing led to another and I began my obsession. So, this brings me to my most recent art undertaking. In the two years I've done this, I've cosplayed the same character. So I decided on doing at least one new one for 2011/2012. I am currently working on my Riku (from Kingdom Hearts) cosplay from the second game and my Stitch cosplay from Lilo and Stitch.

Last Wednesday (7/27), I began working on his ears. I am making a alternate version by using clothing instead of a suit. Basically, I'm hoping for it to look like this some day. So, I began working on the ears. I originally began by trying to draw out on my foam paper (bought at Joanne's Fabrics for $ .39), but it takes me a while to get free-hand work right. So, I reverted to an old style. I used my knowledge of MS Paint and cut everything away from this picture, except the ears. Then, I re-sized the ears and printed them. Coloring the back of the ears with black crayon, I traced the image to a second piece of paper. I then photocopied carbon copy and cut them to size leaving me with paper prototypes.

The process was not done. I took the prototypes and put them on the foam paper. I traced over them and then fixed all my lines up neatly. The ears on the foam paper were then cut out and painted. I used acrylic paint to do this. I used Titanium White and Scarlet (mixed) to get the pink and I used Cobalt Blue with Blue (don't remember the name) to get the blue.

Below I put pictures of prototypes and the finished product. I also put the set by step detailed instructions so anyone wishing to make them (or another type of ears) can follow my method.

Stitch Ear Instructions
1) On your computer, find your copy of the ears. For this project, I used this picture.
2) Using a program (I used MS Paint), take out everything except the ears. Save it.
3) Using a program like Ifran View, resize the picture to (approximately) 8700 X 5600 pixels.
4) Print out the image.
5) Using the crayon, color in where the picture is on the back side. Then, turn the paper so you can see the ink and staple/tape it to a second piece of paper.
6) Trace the image out using the pencil. Make sure to apply pressure. When done, remove the page and you should see a carbon copy of the picture.
7) Cut out the carbon copy of the ears. Optional: To save time if you mess up, photocopy the "carbon"

8) Take the carbon copy and tape it to the foam paper. 
9) Cut out a copy on the foam paper. Your choice: Either trace around the carbon or simply cut around it. I traced first to make sure I got all the lines in.
10) Make sure to cut straight and clean up any lines/edges.
11) Paint the ears. Make sure to keep the image in front of you so you can see what goes where. At this point, to get closer colors, you may need to mix paint. Be generous and make a surplus: it makes it harder if you mix small amounts because, if the color isn't a match the second time around, you have to repaint. You also want to paint the back using the same shade of blue as used on the front. In addition, to make them even more detailed, added blue paint around the edges.
12) Allow the ears to dry and attach to a headband using glue (Preferred: Hot Glue)



The ears I used after I edited the picture in MS Paint. Basically, I erased Stitch.

The prototype version attached to a headband. This shows how they would/could be worn.

The prototype version attached to a headband.

Finished Product

Finished Product

Once again, finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment